It's been 12 days since my surgery and here is what my scar looks like so far. I'm applying Mederma daily and hopefully in a few weeks it will barely be noticeable. My main issue now is working on getting full range of motion back in my wrist... Pointing it down is still a bit tender and I can't make it go all the way without pushing with my other hand. I'm doing the exercises the doctor recommended- progress report later!
Monday, December 9, 2013
Friday, December 6, 2013
Here's why Texas weather is insane... yesterday the high was 81 degrees. and today- icy snow!
Woke up this morning to rare event- snow in DFW! Fortunately I'm on vacation this week so I can stay in my pajamas in bed...except when Seth dragged me out to check out the scene outside. Dean unfortunately had to go to work once he scraped his Jeep out. It is cold!
On the plus side, it really is beginning to look a lot like Christmas!
Thursday, December 5, 2013
I'm at the doctor's office now getting my stitches out. So far the cast is off and here's what is underneath.
Wednesday, December 4, 2013
Friday, November 29, 2013
In July I walked past the Givenchy store on the Champs Elysee and fell hard for the Antigona I saw in the window. However, at several thousand euros it just wasn't an expense that made sense in my lifestyle. But, I couldn't get that shape out of my mind- I spent the next several months scouring the web to find a reasonable priced, pre-owned color-block version. Finally, last weekend I found this stunner from a buyer in London. I had my reservations, but once it arrived yesterday I knew it was the genuine article for an absolute steal.I love this bag.
So, the irony of course is that I received my Antigona but won't be able to enjoy it for at least a week- I need to get the massive cast removed next week as the colors do not work well together!
Thursday, November 28, 2013
Wednesday, November 27, 2013
I made it! I had my surgery yesterday and it was all a bit of a blur. We arrived at 11:30 for a 1pm start time and got paperwork and vitals done once I arrived. They pushed a number of anti-nausea meds before and then almost as soon as they pushed the anesthesia I was out like a light.
I was numb most of the day yesterday. Today has been a bit of a crapshoot but I'm having trouble with typing for extended periods. I'll try again tomorrow for Thanksgiving!
Saturday, November 23, 2013
For the past few months I have had this growth on my left wrist. It's come and gone a few times but for several weeks it has been pretty steady in its current form- not cute:
Even with my wrist straight it is pretty pronounced. When bent, it looks like an alien is trying to rip through my skin.
Last week I finally went to a consultation with a highly recommended hand surgeon and he confirmed it is a ganglion cyst and recommended surgery to remove it. My surgery is scheduled for Tuesday afternoon. For anyone else thinking of getting this surgery, here is what has happened so far:
1. Payments: I have Federal BCBS through Dean and with our excellent coverage I have $150 that I had to pay the doctor and $100 I will have to pay the facility on the day of surgery. Not bad.
2. Preparation: No food or drink after midnight the night before. I am getting general anesthesia (I'll be put completely under) and I must admit I'm a little challenged by the idea of no water all day. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.
3. Recovery: I have a few weeks of healing ahead of me so I picked an excellent time. I am having this surgery on Tuesday with an ambitious plan to come to work on Wednesday then off the rest of the week for Thanksgiving and then the following week for vacation.
I'll keep you posted on how it goes. Fingers crossed!
Sunday, November 10, 2013
Last week I stopped by my local Best Buy to look at the Galaxy Note 8. I fell madly in love with the stylus and within a few hours I had set up an account with AT&T and had a new Note in my hands. I made a pros and cons list and the high points were the stylus, micro USB charging (i.e. now all my devices could use the same charger), and newer features. The negatives were the color (ugh- Fisher Price white), high rate plan (with the Next plan I'd be at about $55 a month) and the larger size. But, I had an S-pen! Really, that was all I needed to know.
I made some solid investments to my device- I bought a black skin from Decal-girl to hide the stark white bezel. I bought a Zagg full body to add some grip. I wouldn't let the negative voices in my head win.
But finally, last night, I had to come to grips with reality. The weight of this Note was literally and metaphorically too heavy. I made a list of the things I could no longer overlook:
1. The size was just too unwieldy. Even though my 7.7 seemed negligibly smaller than the Note 8 on paper, in my hand the difference was insurmountable.
2. The cost of the operation was too high. I went with the Next plan from AT&T which would cost me $55 per month ($25 for the installment payment, $30 for the data plan). My current plan for my Tab 7.7 is $10 on top of my Verizon phone plan.
3. Build. From the excessive use of plastic, to the large bezel to the white I just wasn't thrilled. The physical home button also gave me some pause. And my main grievance was that intermittently the screen would simply stop taking input for a second or 2. No reason, just happened.
I pulled out my Tab 7.7 last night and fell in love with the smooth lines, muted tones and solid build all over again. And right then I knew I was going to have to take the Note back.
I learned a few lessons from this excursion- the main one being that the S-pen experience alone is not enough to override all the other shortcomings. Yes, it's nice to have a pen periodically but even that was a double-edged sword. Most of my workflow during working hours involved Due Today and Evernote. Switching between those and the pen app made things more complicated than they needed to be. Usually after I make general notes on a meeting in Evernote I copy and paste the actionable portions into tasks. With handwritten notes that wasn't able to do that.
As I returned the Note 8 to AT&T I waited for the pang of remorse...it never came. That told me all I needed to know.
Monday, September 23, 2013
My Candy bag meanwhile will get plenty of wear this winter. I just ordered a pair of brown pumps to have more to coordinate with it.