Conquering Antarctica!


 I did it! After years of dreaming and hoping, I made it to Antarctica last month and it was so much more than I could have wished for. I hiked a glacier, jumped into freezing cold water and traveled over 8,000 miles by myself! Seriously! Me! 

I've been trying to even put into words all the feelings I have about the trip....and I am still working on it. I think I will just work on doing a series of posts to park here in the hopes that future adventurers can refer to. 

To start with, if you are reading this because you are interested in going to Antarctica and don't know if it's possible- let me start by saying- YES! You can, and you should! All you need is a ton of patience (including the patience to wait to build up your travel fund as that may take you years like it did for me), and a deep desire to do something a little (or very!) crazy. Start by making yourself a list of at least 5 reasons why you are going. 


This guide will help you figure out the best time to go, then you can start looking up pricing based on the time of year you want to go. Look up sample flights around that time and add to that price and now you have your budget....how much can you put toward the fund per month? That gives you a timeline of how soon you might be able to go!

Example:

In this example, you might consider saving $200 per paycheck for 3 years (or $100 for 6 years). Remember when I mentioned that patience? These examples are hypothetical- it is not uncommon to plan for up to 10 years!






Comments