Using the Galaxy Fold as a Tablet Only

If there's one thing I'm consistent about...it's being inconsistent when it comes to tech. Last year I had a very brief fling with the Galaxy Z-Fold 3 and returned it almost immediately after finding the size too small coming from my Tab S7. But, it seems like my attitude has changed after the past 3 months on my iPad Mini 6. The step down in size to the Mini has made me reconsider how small is too small for the Fold to be useful to me. 

The past 3 or so months with my iPad mini have been good, but not great, to be honest. I appreciated the smaller size coming from the s7 and was excited to be able to use Apple TV Plus on my device. But a few niggles kept whispering in my ear:

1. The annoying, loud tapping each time I used the Apple pencil.

2. Inability to truly customize widgets on my home screen. 

3. Moving from Samsung Notes to Noteshelf- while Noteshelf let my notes auto sync to Evernote, they would not let me 'contribute' from my phone or my laptop. 

4. The seamless earbud transition when a call came in was lost when the iPad Mini was in the mix. 

5. Perhaps, truly, my BIGGEST inconvenience- moving files between my phone and my iPad. I ended up getting a small thumb drive but even that process was kind of fiddly and annoying. I missed Quickshare so much!

6. Lack of dark mode in Facebook. This was the smallest beef, but really, I hardly ever would use Facebook on my iPad because of it.

With all the hype around the Galaxy Fold 4, it seemed like the best time to get a deal on the Fold 3 and yesterday, I picked one up from Amazon. I invested in a case that has both a kickstand and a pen holder this time around (last time I did not, and I think it was too unwieldly without one). 

I've got my homescreen set up exactly how I want it- nothing too fancy, just 3 widgets, but they are configured EXACTLY how I want them. I have been able to bring most of my notes from Note shelf back into Samsung notes via PDF export, and I could not be more pleased. 

I have no intention of changing phones at this time (My S22 Ultra is still the champ of all times!) but with the Galaxy Fold 3 as my tablet- I feel like I have the best of all worlds- firmly situated in the Samsung ecosystem that I love, a portable tablet (that can be wirelessly charged!!) and my curiosity about the Apple iOS quenched for now. I'll give it a few days to make sure this is not just the honeymoon phase, but I expect to have my S7 and my iPad Mini on eBay for sale in the next few days. 








Comments