Microsoft Surface Duo- 10 Days In

The past 10 days have been a Duo whirlwind; I've experimented with different launchers, I've ordered skins, I've tried cases and pouches- basically, I've had fun with tech in a way that I just haven't in a long while...and I owe it all to my Surface Duo! The more I've hung out with it, the more I understand how impossible it is to truly understand it without spending quality time getting it set up and figuring out what role it will play in your day.



Stashing my Duo and Pen in a Pouch



I got the Surface Duo intending to use it as a replacement tablet for my Galaxy Tab S2- I've wanted a smallish tablet with pen input for ages, and as soon as I saw the Duo I was mesmerized. A tablet can be a tricky thing to carry around sometimes- and by the time you add a case it gets even bigger and more unwieldly. I've always used a 7-8 inch tablet, but even that has at times felt too tall in my handbag. The Tab S2 has a lovely slim case that folds around as a stand and I have enjoyed that over the past few years.

For the first few days, I used Nova as my Launcher and substituted the gestures with the Android 3-button navigation that I'm familiar with. However, after a few days I went back to the stock launcher and the gestures. Nova isn't optimized for the Duo yet, and I found that each time I tried to open the app drawer while in-app, I could only see the half on whichever screen I wasn't using. (Also, be sure to restart your Duo after installing Nova for it to 'take'). I am actually quite pleased with the default MS Launcher having taken some time to digest it:



Homescreen Setup with Widgets


I went back to gestures because as I watched more videos on the Duo, I actually really liked how they work. It takes a little trial and error to figure out, but once you do, the navigation is fluid and dance-like.


The dual-screens continue to come in handy several times a day. It actually helps me stay on task to be able to quickly look something up on the other screen, then quickly return to my original point, rather than wandering down a rabbit hole Here's a good example, on a single screen device, I would be 3 or 4 clicks in on Batman day and totally forget the reason why I was looking it up in the first place. Now, I can quickly look up how it started, then return to Twitter and the tweets that got me curious:


Happy Batman Day!



While the spanned Kindle app has been talked about extensively, I've found that comics in Google Books are just as enjoyable. Reading Archie spanned across 2 screens is almost as fun as reading the paper copies years ago. (Did anyone ever send away for those Sea Monkeys they advertised? I wanted them soooooo badly!!)






 Battery Life on the Surface Duo has been phenomenal. I've been using a live wallpaper and even with that, my battery is barely affected. Now, part of that may be that I do not use it as my phone, but I do have a data-only AT&T Sim card (although, don't be fooled into thinking you're getting 5G; this is AT&T giving you 5G....E. With the E so far away they hope you don't notice it. (Nice try, AT&T!)
Even with heavy media consumption, I am easily getting through the day running both
screens. I’ve never not charged my devices overnight, but I suppose if I needed to, the battery saver mode would buy me a few critical hours.




I have had very few oddities- in fact, returning to the stock apps has resolved just about every thing I would encounter in the initial days. I have the swiping part down pat now, and I haven’t had a forced reset in the entire time (I had a non-responsive screen at one point, but it was caused by an app- closing and reopening the device fixed it).

All in all, I’m loving the Duo. Sopiguard has some awesome skins, and I highly recommend them (not an ad!), and they are shipping now. I went with the red to match the rest of my gadgets:







The reality is, this is not a main-stream device and likely isn’t for everyone. But for those of us who it is designed for, it certainly is well worth it and worthwhile. I also think the Duo is going to be a challenging choice for those new to Android- training yourself on a new form factor and a new OS in one shot is not easy!

Comments