The Way They Used to Be...Granny and Grandad


Somewhere in a pile of old photos that I had copied from my aunt years ago I stumbled on this gem, my favorite photo ever. I'm not sure what year this is- probably the late 50s or early 60s. It's my mother's parents in Paris getting on a horse drawn carriage. I love all the subtleties of this picture: my grandad holding the umbrella over her to protect her 'fro. His hand gently supporting her up the step, his dapper suit against her traditional wear, the absolute lack of participation of the driver, the cobblestone street....I love it all. I also love the knowledge that my grandmother, who has been in longterm care with a stroke has the memory of this day tucked in her mind, and she knows that when she does take her last breath, my grandad, who passed over a decade ago, will be there with a hand to gently guide her. 

Comments