PalmPre vs. iPhone vs. WinMo vs. Android vs. BlackBerry - Fight!

Suprisingly, I'm going to disagree with a few points here where Windows Mobile won:
Keyboard and Battery- I think Blackberry should have the top scores in these categories
Browser- iPhone should be the top score in this one
Network- Blackberry should have a higher score than the iPhone since they have devices on multiple carriers
Multitasking- Blackberry should not have the same score as the iPhone which doesn't even do multitasking.

 
 

Sent to you by Lulu via Google Reader:

 
 

via Mobility Site by Gil Bouhnick on 1/14/09

It seems like I'm not the only one excited about the Palm Pre.

Gizmodo just published a nice post comparing between Palm Pre, iPhone and Android.

I took the original list (found in here), twisted it a bit according to my own opinion, added some new categories and of course, added Windows Mobile (and BlackBerry) to the competition.

Of course it's a completely subjective competition so I will be the only judge.

So, are you ready?

runble


1. Touch Screen:

Android, iPhone and Palm Pre have capacitive screens. Only iPhone and Palm Pre have multi-touch which is much better, so we have 2 winners here, each with 1 point:

iPhone: 1 pts

Palm Pre: 1 pts

Windows Mobile: 0 pts

Android: 0 pts

BlackBerry: 0 pts


2. Screen Gestures

All new devices have gestures. I believe iPhone used to have an advantage here, but after watching the Palm Pre videos I believe Palm took the gestures capabilities couple of levels up (shortcuts, closing apps, etc.).

In addition, there's this gesture interface in the bottom of the device which really looks promising, so this point goes to Palm.

Palm Pre: 2 pts

iPhone: 1 pts

Windows Mobile: 0 pts

Android: 0 pts

BlackBerry: 0 pts

(Well well well, what do you know, the new-comer leads the way…)


3. Overall Design:

palm-treo-pro-4-thumb Until I saw the Palm Pre amazing pictures, I was certain that the best looking device ever created was Palm Treo Pro (or HTC Touch HD).

Omnia and Xperia are also good candidates here so since only Windows Mobile has this huge variety of different form factors, I will give the point to Windows Mobile.

Note: I wanted to penalize the Android for T-Mobile G1 for the horrible design but since it doesn't have points yet, I couldn't…

Palm Pre: 2 pts

Windows Mobile: 1 pts

iPhone: 1 pts

Android: 0 pts

BlackBerry: 0 pts


4. Single Hand Navigation:

Not every user is aware of that need, some people are even still using a stylus(!), but having the ability to operate your device with only one hand can really change your quality of life.

For me it's a critical consideration: operating my phone while holding a bag, walking with my dog, or any other situation you can think of.

2 months of experience and I still can't properly operate my iPhone with a single hand. The Android G1 has a sliding QWERTY so I guess it is out as well.

Based on what I've seen so far, and based on my personal experience with Palm Treo, I'm willing to bet the Pre will have the greatest single hand navigation. But since I just mentioned Treo 750 running Windows Mobile - it proves that WinMo can get single handed as well (it's all a matter of form factor), so I will give 1 point each.

Oh, and let's not forget BlackBerry which also gets 1 point here.

Palm Pre: 3 pts

Windows Mobile: 2 pts

iPhone: 1 pts

BlackBerry: 1 pts

Android: 0 pts


5. Multitasking:

iPhone - out.

Android - almost, but not quite there yet.

Windows Mobile - of course! (1 point there).

Palm Pre - the best! [The best Jerry! The best!] And did you see how they manage and close each task? multi-tasking by design. 1 point.

Palm Pre: 4 pts

Windows Mobile: 3 pts

iPhone: 1 pts

BlackBerry: 1 pts

Android: 0 pts


6. User Interface:

Even with the TouchFlo 3D, Windows Mobile is not doing well in this section. iphone11

Palm Pre looks amazing as well, even better than iPhone in some aspects, but we didn't see enough, we don't know how 3rd party apps will look like, and couldn't find the flaws yet.

Android did not convince me that it's better than the iPhone, so I will give this point to Apple, they deserve it just for the sake of creating a revolution.

Note: I almost took that 1 point from BlackBerry due to the horrible 'text only' user interface in most devices…

Palm Pre: 4 pts

Windows Mobile: 3 pts

iPhone: 2 pts

BlackBerry: 1 pts

Android: 0 pts


7. Development platform:

The Pre's "Web OS" is an interesting concept. Many developers know how to write Java script, but the question is - how strong is it? How will the development environment work when trying to debug etc.

I once had an unpleasant experience with Java, trying to develop using IBM WebSphere tools (tip: don't ever try that), then I moved back to Microsoft's legendary Visual Studio - without a doubt, the best development framework.

With .Net compact framework - developing WinMo apps is something every kid can do. (heck, even I managed to develop a couple of free tools). Point goes to Windows Mobile.

Palm Pre: 4 pts

Windows Mobile: 4 pts

iPhone: 1 pts

BlackBerry: 1 pts

Android: 0 pts


8. PIM & Office Tools

No need to explain why Windows Mobile still leads this section.

BlackBerry is the best when it comes to emails, but I hate the workarounds for the office documents.

I believe Palm Pre will not be far behind but point goes to Windows Mobile.

Windows Mobile: 5 pts

Palm Pre: 4 pts

iPhone: 1 pts

BlackBerry: 1 pts

Android: 0 pts

(We have a changeover! Is this fun or what?)


9. Web Integration:

I took this section from the Gizmodo list, personally I don't find it as the most important section, but I guess other people do.

Gizmodo Wrote: "The Pre subtly integrates the internet into the phone at every opportunity, and it's awesome. Contacts get pulled in from Facebook, Gmail, IM and and scanned for dupes; the messaging app shows your last several emails, IMs and SMS with that contact in a single window. Really, really smart stuff. Advantage: Pre"

Windows Mobile: 5 pts

Palm Pre: 5 pts

iPhone: 1 pts

BlackBerry: 1 pts

Android: 0 pts

(Can you stand the hit?)


10. App Store / Developer Community:

While there are hundreds of Windows Mobile software & freeware sites, the AppStore, managed to create a bigger buzz (even though it doesn't have trial options - which is lame)

From checking the Palm AppStore, I don't think they will be able to compete with the original one.

Android's more "open stance" might make it a decent opponent here, but I think that for now iPhone gets the points.

Windows Mobile: 5 pts

Palm Pre: 5 pts

iPhone: 2 pts

BlackBerry: 1 pts

Android: 0 pts


11. The Network:

Acording to Gizmodo: ("we stand by our numbers: Sprint is the best 3G network in our tests") Sprint is the best 3G network.

On the other hand, we want the freedom to choose our own network!

Since Android (G1) is a T-Mobile phone (for now), Palm Pre is Sprint, and unlocking the iPhone is a pain in the a$$, I will go with Windows Mobile. You have the freedom to choose, and there are plenty of unlocked devices too. Point goes to Windows Mobile.

Windows Mobile: 6 pts

Palm Pre: 5 pts

iPhone: 2 pts

BlackBerry: 1 pts

Android: 0 pts


12. Physical keyboard:

palm_Keyboards let's throw away this iPhone (though I must say I type pretty fast with the landscape keyboard - the problem is that many apps do not support landscape mode which brings me back to throwing it away…).

The Pre QWERTY keyboard is great, Android has it too, and Windows Mobile has many devices with good keyboard.

But for me the BlackBerry keyboard is the only one that gives a really fast and convenient typing. RIM will finally get another point!

Windows Mobile: 6 pts

Palm Pre: 5 pts

iPhone: 2 pts

BlackBerry: 2 pts

Android: 0 pts


13. Camera:

Since the best Cameras can be found in Windows Mobile devices like the Omnia (not all of them though) - the point will definitely go to Microsoft here.

Windows Mobile: 7 pts

Palm Pre: 5 pts

iPhone: 2 pts

BlackBerry: 2 pts

Android: 0 pts


14. Battery:

We still don't know what will be the battery life of the Pre, but we can easily disqualify the iPhone from participating this one (20% during the night when 3G, WiFi and Bluetooth are all off!?).

Gizmodo gave extra point to the Palm Pre because of the wireless charger. I will do the same.

Windows Mobile: 7 pts

Palm Pre: 6 pts

iPhone: 2 pts

BlackBerry: 2 pts

Android: 0 pts


15. Copy & Paste:

The iPhone is the only one which doesn't have this basic feature. Brrr.

BlackBerry's copy / paste experience is far from being convenient so RIM does not deserve a point here as well.

WinMo, Android and Pre are the winners here, but since copy/paste is such a basic feature, I will give them only one 1 point which will be split between the 3 of them.

Windows Mobile: 7.333 pts

Palm Pre: 6.333 pts

iPhone: 2 pts

BlackBerry: 2 pts

Android: 0.333 pts

(Android finally gets one… OK… almost one point…)


16. Browser:

Pre, iPhone and Android browsers are based on WebKit, which has become the standard for the mobile web.

Safari crashes every once in a while, that's true, but I still think it's one of the best browsers.

I tried the android, and the navigation was not smooth.

I know many WinMo users think that there are better alternatives for Windows Mobile, but I tried Opera and I don't think it's good enough just yet, and for me SkyFire is an Autobot. (the first one who could fly, by the way…)

skyfire

I will go with Gizmodo here as well, and give the points to the Pre and iPhone for having multi-touch in web browsing (a feature that I like very much)

Windows Mobile: 7.333 pts

Palm Pre: 7.333 pts

iPhone: 3 pts

BlackBerry: 2 pts

Android: 0.333 pts


Summary.

Wow, that was intensive, don't you think?

The first place goes to… both Windows Mobile and Palm Pre!

What a match it is going to be!

(Who would have thought that those 2 old rivals that struggled 10 years ago with green screen PDAs will meet again…)

Of course, everything here is completely subjective. I'm sure many people will still prefer the BlackBerry alternative, while some spoiled kids will still nag their dad for an iPhone.

It's amazing that the good old Windows Mobile is still standing and fighting proudly, mainly thanks to great devices that hide the weaknesses of the old OS.

I know there's a lot of mobile "power users", freaks, and blogger with a worm corner in the heart for Palm. It leads me to believe that the Pre is going to be a hit. And if not… well… that's going to be a shame.

---
Related Articles at Mobility Site:



 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

Comments