Imate 8502- Mickliq's First Impressions

Photobucket

One of my favorite 'techies', Mickliq, has had the good fortune to pick up an Imate 8502. The 8502 is one of the three QWERTY Touchscreen devices that the USA hopes to get its hands on this year (the others being the HP910 and the Velocity Mobile 111). Mick has used a Blackjack, Ubiquio 503G and Treo 750 so his usage experience is very much on par with mine. Here's what he had to say about the Imate 8502 over at HowardForums:

Update after 3 days with my 8502:

Overall - great device. Form factor is
really amazing. Speed coming from a Blackjack and Treo is very good.

Keyboard - I have to hand it to i-mate. Their unqieu keyboard
implementation allows for a device that is as narrow as a Blackberry Pearl but
with a full QWERTY. I have no issues typing at the same speed as my Blackjack.
The only issue is the placement of the Caps, Fn, comma, period, etc...they are
all very different than what I am used to and therefore it slows me down. Over
time I will get used to it and it won't be an issue. On thing which is a bit
bothersome are the rounded edges...it makes typing a long message a bit
uncomfortable if you are holdign the device with two hands.

Joystick -
generally not an issue, especially for scrolling up and down. Where I find it a
bit harder to use than a D-pad is left/right scrolling. I was worried it would
protrude more than it does. By locking the device with the Power key there are
no issues with it in a pocket/jacket and it doesn't "catch" your clothing.

Softkeys - they are definitely oddly implemented. The Windows, OK and
Left/Right softkeys are not well implemented. I will get used to them, but they
could clearly fit a D-pad by changing the whole layout in that area

Profile Controller - nice free addition, a little buggy.

Battery
- I averaged 10hrs/day with full 3G/BT/Push email on all the time. I did a full
night charge last night for the first time and it feels like it will last longer
today.

GPS - couldn't get it to work so far with Google Maps and Yahoo
Go! I tried COM4 and COM9. I'm no GPS expert and don't really need it.

Volume - no issues for me. The phone volume is fine even in a noisy
place (Starbucks). Not loud, but loud enough. With my Moto H12 BT headset, the
volume is VERY LOUD and absolutely no issue. The BT headset paired immediately.

BT with PC - paired with my laptop (SZ 650 running Vista) immediately
and able to Activesync, File Exchange. Haven't tried tethering but based on how
it paired I am sure it will work.

Camera - pictures are "ok". I find
opening the camera app VERY SLOW.

Bugs - profile controller sometimes
screws up the alerts (eg LED doesn't flash for new email all the time). The fact
that you get a flashing LED for mail/texts etc out of the box is nice vs. the
Treo...

Device is generally very stable as long as you don't load too
much crap onto it (I don't ...just some homescreen plug ins

Bottom line
- incredible device, form factor, usability. Happy I didn't wait for the HP.
Also I love the portrait orientation for the Today screen, Inbox, emails, etc.
The only place you need landscape is web browing and you can easily rotate the
screen with an included homescreen plug in.

Comments