Life Update

Professionally, I am an ace at what I do. I mean, I am someone who re-reads emails I sent out 2 years ago and challenges myself to find better ways to have communicated the same message. I am constantly striving to improve my craft. So, as you can imagine, I have little tolerance for foolishness. And in the past year my job, there had been a fair amount of that going on. Fictitious positions were being created to 'place-hold' people who had no discernible skill sets, and they were being paid good money for the pleasure. And, as usual when people have lots of free time on their hands they spend it finding ways to annoy and irk others. This, combined with a huge amount of thankless work which seemed to keep getting bigger and bigger made me finally hit a wall. I looked from all angles and realized that I couldn't stay with the company anymore. And you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that service company with about 40% of its staff in management may be a tad top heavy. So, I handed in my notice and resigned- I had no plan, no idea what I would do next, but I was so close to a nervous breakdown that Dean encouraged me to just take time to get to my mental ground zero.
After about 3 weeks of relaxing, regrouping and recovering I was ready to see what the job market looked like- I had a comfortable 6 months in cash to find something new, beyond that would involve dipping into savings. Last time I was on the hunt, it took a long time for me to get an offer. This time it took me 2 weeks on the market to get an offer from a company who's corporate culture I have admired from afar for a long while now. In fact, I had a choice of locations to choose from within their organization, and a few offers that I had to turn down! I start on Monday, and am extremely excited.
So, the lesson I have learned here is that there is no reward for being a martyr- I was smart enough to pump the breaks before I completely wore myself out and, by not doubting myself I got what I really wanted- to work for a great company, join inspiring leaders and the icing on the cake is making much more money for the pleasure. Nothing wrong with that at all! :)

Comments