My Life in a Nutshell

One thing I can't say about the past few weeks is that they've been uneventful. They have been a flurry of action and activity and I haven't even had a moment to sit down to figure out how to put it on paper (or PC...whatever).
An interesting opportunity arose at work and I decided to apply for an opening that was available which would have translated to more responsibility and a slight salary increase. I was apprehensive about the potential for rejection, but thought I had to at least make the effort. I put together an extensive presentation detailing how I would tackle the position, as well as a comprehensive plan of action for filling my current role. I thought I did a stellar job, so you can imagine my disappointment when over 2 weeks went by with no word back from the CEO. I was crushed, not even by the rejection, but by the overwhelming sense that his lack of response meant that he hadn't taken me even remotely seriously. I tried to shrug it off, and put my nose back to the grindstone.
Right about at the 3 week mark, the CEO came to my office to pay me a visit. He explained what he was looking for in the position, and had decided that he wanted a licensed Nurse to assume the role. It was no surprise to me at that point that I wasn't going to get the position, and was just relieved that he was showing me the courtesy of giving me a formal response. What did surprise me was what he said next- there was a newer position that was available, at a more senior level, which he felt I would be better suited for. He explained the role and its scope and then gave me an tentative offer letter for it. I.was.stunned.
Of course these things take time to finalize, but the thing I was most impressed with was that the new salary (which went into effect this Monday) was made retro-active to the date of his offer letter (June 22). I boldly negotiated myself a 28% raise (!) which is something I never thought I'd have the nerve to do again after the blow to my self-esteem last year.
In the midst of all of that, Dean sat down to have a heart-to-heart with me about my Nissan Murano obsession. I am not a car person, but for some reason, I have been drawn to that SUV for quite a few years now. I've had my Daewoo Lanos for nearly 10 years now, and its been an absolute gem to me with no breakdowns, or crap-outs at all (my sister-in-law, who found my Daewoo endlessly amusing, is on her third Audi at this point). Dean and I exchanged cars about 3 years ago because his Nissan Xterra took about 3 times as much in gas as my Daewoo, but the lack of AC in the Daewoo combined with the unrelenting Texas heat has finally gotten to him. He decided that he would sell his 'hot-rod' (a 1978 Trans-Am that he bought and has been restoring over the past year or so) and the Daewoo, take back his Xterra and get me a Nissan Murano later this year. For the second time in a week, I sat with my mouth hanging open as someone gave me fantastic news that totally blew me away.

The icing on the cake of all this is that Seth has had an exceptionally healthy couple of months since he had surgery to have tubes put in his hears to combat the regular ear infections he was getting. He's speaking a lot more now (probably because he's finally hearing much better now) and repeats everything he hears. At nearly 21 months, he's already got his own personality, and has staked his own place in our home. He has his own 'Tonight Show' and does some stand-up comedy every evening for us (I admit, we don't get the jokes- "Juice! Freeze!" but watching him crack himself up is hilarious).
About 6 weeks ago I bought an stationary bike and since then I bike a few miles each morning as soon as I wake up and each evening. I haven't kept a close eye on the scale, but I have noticed that overall I feel much better, and my clothes definitely fit me differently. My main goal is to improve my stamina, and so far, it seems to be working!
So, all in all, I would have to say that life is good. I consider myself to be extremely fortunate to live my life, and I'm grateful to the man upstairs every single day. When I think back to this time last year and the despair, repeated rejections and complete hopelessness I was going through, I remember not to take a single thing for granted. And if you are going through a rough patch right now, as so many people are in this economy, remember that the sun will shine again. I promise you it will.


Comments