Comment Response: Symbian vs Windows Mobile

After I wrote about my experiences with the Nokia E71, I had a response from reader RayanMX who said:

Hey Lulugirl, it's been some time since I last posted, but here goes...

As you may recall, I was on the same boat as you when the HP 910C came out, and frankly I had my hopes high after viewing your reviews and comments, but as more people started using the 910C, more problems appeared everywhere, but basically the most important one (at least for me) is the poor battery performance on the 910C, so that and the fact that Amazon failed to deliver my 910C in time I decided to cancel my order and went back to the drawing boards.

Long story short, I ended up purchasing a Nokia E71 and I really love it despite it's differences with Windows Mobile Pro. But don't get me wrong, I still love WiMo a lot!... It's been a bit more than eight years using the platform, but now that high speed internet by means of 3.5G has landed on my town, all my 3G WiMo devices have failed me big time in the battery department.

None of them last through the day! not even 3/4 of a day which is simply unacceptable for me.

Enter tne Nokia E71, which has an astonishing autonomy that gets me through the day (and yet some more) without compromises or sacrifices and it's simply a joy to know that I can push email two different accounts, browse extensively, and the occasional Youtube session through the lovely Mobitubia or CorePlayer.

Yes, Symbian is no Windows Mobile Professional the same as an iPhone is no Symbian nor WiMo... They are different platforms for different niches. I simply love them all! But one thing is certain, Symbian S60 V3 is by no means less robust as WiMo. In my long Windows Mobile trajectory I managed to acquire a series of Symbian devices (either UIQ and S60) and know my way around it. However if find S60 more capable of multitasking and handling rouge apps and crashes better. (I managed to crash the system to see what could happen and I noticed that it recovered automatically without the need of soft resets or even hard resets) so that means a lot to me.

Oh, and many of the issues you didn't like about S60 can be added in with third party software, just like on Windows Mobile, and the OS is much MUCH more customizable than WM to the point of being able to change the icons throughout the interface with just a skin or theme (in WiMo you need something like WisBar Advanced Desktop which is a memory hog). :)

Another aspect of the E71 that I love is the fact that I can make use of software that simply is unavailable on the WM platform (because of hardware limitations) like VoiceCall Recorders and Answering Machines (in Mexico my phone company charges me money just for checking my voicemails... NOT ANYOMRE!) LOL... :)

Bottom line for me is that I think I'll stay put on the E71 since it serves me more than well on the most important aspect for me, the battery and form factor, at least until the new Windows Mobile 7 devices start to popup real soon... (I'm holding my urge to go for the Treo Pro... Argh, I know I can make it!!!)... :)

Cheers!
RayanMX




I wanted to bring this comment to the forefront because I would like to hear from RayanMX or anyone else familiar with the OS about a few things.

-In my post I mentioned a few of the things I feel I can't live without on a mobile device that the Nokia E71 did not have. How do you get plugins (weather, RSS feeds, GPS, etc) for applications to how up on the Homescreen?
-Is there a way to have the time show up on every screen? In the titlebar or something?
-Does the Windows Media Player sync playlists over? I couldn't figure out how to do this.

I'd love to hear especially from Windows Mobile Professional users who have switched to, or are using WM in conjuction with Symbian.

Comments