ICL Surgery Questions

Tomorrow I have my iridotomies, followed next Thursday by my ICL surgery. In the meantime, I thought I'd share the questions I asked my doctor (and his responses):

Q: Confirm which Dr. is doing the surgery?
A; Dr. Robert Lyons is a board certified ophthalmologist who has been performing cataract and laser refractive surgery for many years. He previously served as an ophthalmologist in the United States Air Force and is a veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom. He has performed thousands of surgical procedures and has been a surgical mentor to many ophthalmology physicians-in-training. He has been trusted to perform laser vision corrective surgery on fighter pilots in the United States Air Force.

Q: How soon can I fly following surgery?
A: Give it about 2 weeks to be safe. 

Q: How soon can I engage in strenuous activities?
A: Give it about a week

Q: Will any of the prescribed eyedrops bleach my lashes? (I read that somewhere). 
A: No

Q: Will I experience 'halos' at night?
A: Based on the measurements we have seen, this should not occur in your case. 

Q: Can I drive that weekend? (I have tickets to see Hedwig and the Angry Inch!)
A: Yes. You should be able to drive the next day. The anesthesia wearing off, and not the vision, is the limiting factor. 

Q: Do you have a charity I can donate my old glasses to?
A: Yes. Bring them to your surgery and we will have the Lions Club collect them

Q: What if I sneeze during my ICL surgery?
A: As you will be under anesthesia, this is highly unlikely to happen. However, the doctors can read the body's preparation to sneeze and it gives them ample time to remove any objects from the eyes. 

Q: What if my vision is not great after the ICL surgery?
A: Unlikely, but we can make adjustments with Lasik (at no additional cost)

Q: What if something feels 'weird' after the surgery?
A: In the kit provided you have the cell phone number for Dr. Lyon and others. Call them right away. 

Q: What if it's too odd?
A: We'll go in and take them out!

I was pleased with how thorough they were answering all of my questions- he didn't shrug anything off as too silly. I'm getting more excited! 9 days to go now!

Comments