Let me start by saying there wasn't anything 'wrong' with our living room per se, it was just....meh:
|Functional but very basic|
I didn't know exactly what I wanted to do except that I latched on to a 'travel' theme (see the trunk, and the world map?) and that was it. After we finished out kitchen I just knew that I wanted to do more. So, here's what I came up with:
1. I ordered 2 wingback chairs from World Market and replaced the bench I had there.
2. I went nuts with my plants. I mean, I just went to town!
3. I bought pillows from Pier 1 and Tuesday morning and struck a delicate balance between design and functionality on the couch. It definitely needed some color but I don't think the boys would enjoy having to relocate a bunch of throw pillows to be able to sit down.
4. I got some more wall decor to spruce up the higher levels of the windows. The only piece I had on the wall in the living room was really getting dwarfed by all the unused space.
5. This is, in my opinion, the big one- window dressing. We removed the blinds and suddenly had 21 feet of wall/window combination that really needed attention. So, I bought 6 panels of curtains from Pier 1 and a friend helped me sew 3 apiece into 2 super-long panels.
So, the results?
|Here is the window wall by day...|
|And here is how it looks at night.|
Overall, I'm thrilled to bits by how it all came out!