Holiday PSA

This holiday we put our tree up on November 8th...this is my story:

I woke up this morning with a vague sense of uneasiness that only got worse when I walked into the living room. Standing before me was the source of my discomfort- my Christmas tree was making me ill. I had come down with a bad case of Christmas fatigue. You see, the average person can cope with a Christmas tree for about 4 weeks... 5 for the extremely hardy...but after having our tree up for 7 full weeks, I just couldn't take it anymore. Friends tried to warn us- Bunmi posted an ominous "What's today's date again?" when he saw the tree going up on November 8th. Even Christmas-loving Kris wrote "Omg! Extra early!" But we didn't take notice of these clues. We thought we were being smart.
As I spent hours this morning frantically flinging ornaments off the tree and putting away our Christmas decorations, I am forced to make a stunning admission: I kicked off Christmas way too early this year. I realize that no matter how excited I get in November, I cannot extend Christmas for 7 weeks without repercussions.
Please. Talk to your friends and family about decorating too early. Signs include references to Christmas during Halloween, a general unwillingness to acknowledge Thanksgiving as a holiday, and humming carols in late September. We went through this but no one else should have to. Ask your doctor if decorating in November is right for you. I wish I had.

Comments