2 Days to Ganglion Cyst Surgery

For the past few months I have had this growth on my left wrist. It's come and gone a few times but for several weeks it has been pretty steady in its current form- not cute:










Even with my wrist straight it is pretty pronounced. When bent, it looks like an alien is trying to rip through my skin. 

Last week I finally went to a consultation with a highly recommended hand surgeon and he confirmed it is a ganglion cyst and recommended surgery to remove it. My surgery is scheduled for Tuesday afternoon. For anyone else thinking of getting this surgery, here is what has happened so far:

1. Payments: I have Federal BCBS through Dean and with our excellent coverage I have $150 that I had to pay the doctor and $100 I will have to pay the facility on the day of surgery. Not bad.

2. Preparation: No food or drink after midnight the night before. I am getting general anesthesia (I'll be put completely under) and I must admit I'm a little challenged by the idea of no water all day. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. 

3. Recovery: I have a few weeks of healing ahead of me so I picked an excellent time. I am having this surgery on Tuesday with an ambitious plan to come to work on Wednesday then off the rest of the week for Thanksgiving and then the following week for vacation. 

I'll keep you posted on how it goes. Fingers crossed! 

Comments