Terrific Threesome: Slingplayer, TiVo and Blackberry

I love it when fantastic technology comes together. And when it comes to my TV viewing- it doesn't get any better than TiVo. I've got 3 DVR devices altogther at home- basically, one for each of us. The den's 1st gen TiVo is loaded with Yo Gabba Gabba, Sesame Street and the BackYardigans. Seth can request a song, and we pretty much know exactly which episode and at which point its played so we can cue it up.
The DirecTV DVR in the study has a lot of Dean's games and shows. Any show that he watches on his own gets taped in there. On his days off he can catch up on his fantasy football via his PC while he watches the games.
But the bedroom- that's where my magic happens. My TiVo2 is all set up and connected to my Tivo Desktop. My favorite shows get recorded, automagically converted and put on to my iPod without my having to do anything. I've also set up my Slingplayer so that I can connect from my Blackberry if I'm out and about, or my iPod if I'm on the stationery bike. I watch my favorite shows in my truck during my lunch break- a habit I've been in for almost a year now.
Last December TiVo came out with a mobile scheduling site, and right around that time DirecTV did something similar. But, as you know by now, nothing gets me going like a full-fledged "App for That". This week TiVo released a Blackberry app that I'm finding quite useful for setting up shows to tape. In addition to letting you search for shows to tape, it also shows you daily picks, as well as most popular shows. You can record a single episode, or create a season pass.

Photobucket

Photobucket

For an added bonus, after checking the daily picks list, I can connect right to my Slingbox to watch a show I'm interested in. Now that I finally have Slingplayer working on my Blackberry, you'd best believe I'm watching it at every possible moment when I'm away from home!

Photobucket

And when I just want to take a look at the TVGuide, I recently found out that the Handmark TVGuide application is still working, even though its no longer supported.

Photobucket

So all in all, I'm impressed at how seamlessly the Blackberry integrates my TV life. And, just to stick it to iPhone users, I can actually switch between my TVGuide and my Slingplayer apps so that I can easily decide what to watch and change the channel without having to restart each app!

Comments