Rant: Solving Problems No One Had!

There's nothing that drives me as nuts as man hours wasted on a 'problem' that no one really had. And I had to talk myself off the ledge when the new Sony Ericcson earphones with motion sensor- who is the lazy schmuck that needs the music to stop playing when you remove the bud from your ear. And last I checked, it takes more effort to remove a bud than to tap a button (on the phone or on the headset itself).
Beejive IM for Blackberry released a long-awaited update to its app. At $30, everyone was waiting with baited breath for them to release a push IM solution, similar to the one that IM+ has which lets the app close, but sends notifications to your email inbox- saving battery and process power. What Beejive released was a hodge-podge of ridiculousness, with a "push-solution" that requires the app to remain running in the background, but still sends messages to your mailbox- but not really. Because when your phone receives the email, its intercepted by the app which opens up. No battery life is conserved, and to add insult to injury, your messages aren't even available in your inbox for later review. However, for some reason, the feature they did get around to adding is....wallpaper. Seriously? When was the last time you used an IM client and longed for some wallpaper to get the party started?
I always wonder what type of amazing innovation and improvements could be made if the energy spent with these ideas was directed at solving actual problems we really have. Its sometimes interesting to see what these minds can come up with, but when you are trying to convince me that you are solving a problem that I never actually had you completely alienate me as a customer, and convince me as a consumer that you have no idea what my real issues are. Hey Sony, if you really want to impress me, make a pair of headphones that won't tangle- now *that* would change the way I listen to music!

Comments