I.T. Guys Get no Respect


There, I said it. In most companies, the IT guys get the least amount of respect, thanks, or acknowledgement for their vital role. Its no wonder that over the years, many IT guys have adopted a "You're dumb, I'm not" stance. How would you feel if a CEO making millions of dollars a year called you into his office every time he needed a new Outlook rule added? I'm not in IT by a long shot, but I've done my share of snickering at dumb questions (and yes, there is such a thing as a dumb question). I worked with someone years ago that would press the pause/break button on her keyboard before she went to lunch-Because it said break.
This thread over at Crackberry was one that got me on this little soapbox, because tech support guys are commiserating over where they get office space in their companies. The gist is summed up perfectly by Sito:

I think companies still think IT department work space as a low priority in managment mind set. The management assumes IT people are a bunch of nerds who live in their mom's basement thus they assign us the worse office space in the whole building. The janitor even have a nice air conditioned office while I sit in boiler room like Igor the hunch back of Nortre Dame.

No respect at all. To all the IT guys out there: thanks for all your hard work! We couldn't do it without you!

Comments