Invaluable Backup Tools

Two weeks ago while we were on vacation (actually, as soon as the plane landed!) my pda phone crapped out on me. It was a pretty horrible experience, but there were a few things that made my life bearable for the week.
Let me start by saying that we stayed with my mother-in-law for most of the trip, and she has an older PC with IE6 on it. Some of my failsafes do not work on IE6 (eg Dashwire). I also spent a night in a hotel with my cousin who has a Blackberry and got to borrow hers for a few moments.
Here are the solutions that I found invaluable and was so glad that I use:

1. YouMail This is great if you don't have access to your phone and you are expecting a call. You can see who called, even if they chose not to leave a message. It also has a mobile portal that you can use to check your messages.
2. Dashwire Now this one would have been great except that I had a nasty suprise when I found it wouldn't load on IE6. They should at least have a barebones version that will run on lighter browsers.
3. Mail2Web Singlehandedly saved my bacon. Fortunately I had already been using Mail2Web for push email so it had all my contacts, tasks and calendars. I couldn't get the full version to run on IE6, but it would run the mobile version on the desktop so I could print out what I needed.

I encourage you to incorporate at least one of these free solutions to your daily or weekly routine. A backup application will only be useful if you have a phone on which to restore, but are you covered if you have to do without one?

Comments