Ask Lulu- Screen Orientation Preference

Its been a while since I've followed up on 'Ask Lulu', where I answer questions I get asked. Today's question is from Ryan, and he asks:

I've been using Windows Mobile devices almost since their incarnation way back in 1999 or so, and always used them in portrait mode, even though I currently use an HTC Kaiser and sometimes use it in landscape mode but mostly use it in portrait orientation, however I'm not really sure how useful the screen is when used in landscape mode all the time.

How comfortable are you with using the screen in that orientation all the time with your current device?

Would you go back to portrait mode ever again?

I'm asking you this because I'm in the process of getting a qwerty bar phone (imate 8502, V111 or HP 910C), but not sure which screen orientation works best in actual use since these kind of devices are not very comfortable to hold in another orientation.

Thanks!

I don't think I would go back to portrait for 2 main reasons-
1. I prefer the look of the landscape screen. I've found that somehow the text, etc, seems crisper.
2. A landscape device provides a more spacious keyboard layout. The balance is also better because the device is less top-heavy as you hold it to type.

And with a landscape device, you won't ever have to switch it to portrait. Watching videos, etc, all happen in the native layout.


Photobucket

Comments