Social Networking...Maybe too much of a good thing?

This year more than ever before I really made an attempt to jump on the social networking bandwagon...and now I'm screaming to be let off. I can't keep up with the dozens of programs and sites that all offer a unique spin on the same old thing. And the aggregators! Enough already! I can't do it, and I don't even have a job at the moment!

So, I am going to simplify my life, which is the purpose of this whole thing in the first place, right? Twitter, which is where it all began, is the staple of most of my communications and will continue to be my main microblogger. YouTube is of course a staple for my videos. Flickr is where I store my photos. And Del.ici.ous is what I use to bookmark sites and stories that I find interesting- especially using the plugin for Pocket Internet Explorer; thats how I mark stories to read later on my PC. And finally, FriendFeed to pull it all together in one place so I can see everything at a glance. FriendFeed finally has a nice mobile website, and I am fairly confident that someone will soon put together a nice application for Windows Mobile too.

Beyond that, I'm going to pretty much ignore everything else. Because if the purpose of all these things is to enrich our lives, then we have to find the happy balance between being enriched versus being overstuffed.

Comments