Archives-February 2006

February 28

Today's Subway Peeve

The Chatty Co-Worker

It seems that no matter where you live, chances are that eventually one day
a co-worker will ride at least part of your commute with you. And the odds
are pretty high that it will be your loudest most rambunctious cohort, at a
time when all you really want is some down time.
Now, you may be wondering why I've classified this as a subway peeve, and
the reason is simple- no other form of transport renders you quite as
helpless in this situation. Even on the bus you could fake an emergency
call ("Sorry I really need to call **** to make sure I get picked up/
dropped off/my kid collected,etc").

February 25

Screenshots galore

As promised, here are some screenshots from my Tapwave Zodiac2. This as you can see, has become my primary gaming device. Having 128MB means that there is tons of space for all kind of goodies.

My games' tab:
Image hosting by Photobucket

My 'all programs' tab:
Image hosting by Photobucket


I also updated my today screen on my Axim. Although, I must admit that I have been underwhelmed by the display, so last night I bought an X50 from eBay... I might be selling my X3 after I do comparisons.

Image hosting by Photobucket
February 24

PPC Today Screen

I finally figured out how to make a screenshot of my Axim's Today screen. I think its pretty slick if I do say so myself!

Image hosting by Photobucket


Image hosting by Photobucket

Happy Friday

Overheard in NY
"Wow, That's Awesome"?

Guy #1: You know what we need? A nice breeze.
Guy #2: What the f**k are you talking about? It's cold as balls.
Guy #1: I was being ironic.
Guy #2: That's not ironic. Ironic is like...s**t, I don't know. Like that
song.
Guy #1: Naw, man. That's what people think, but ironic is when you say some
s**t but you mean some other s**t.
Guy #2: Motherf**r, that's facetious.
Guy #1: Yeah...Then what's ironic?
Guy #2: How the f**k should I know? You the one with the GED.

--49th & 7th
..............

No matter how many times I read Overheard in New York it never ceases to
crack me up.

Well, its Friday again and what a busy week its been. And how about poor
Vado Diomande and his whole Anthrax situation. That poor guy will probably never
sell another drum in this country after this incident. I'm still a bit
confused about how the goat skins happened to have Anthrax in the first
place.... You just know that animal activists everywhere are saying "I told
you so". Maybe this can become a new sticking point for them-

"Don't wear fur- it may have anthrax".

That's not a bad slogan, actually.

Tech-Addict

Eventually the addiction does spread.
Here is what my office currently looks like as I configure a couple of the
physicians' new laptops. Mind you, we do have an IT dept- but everyone
knows about my tech addiction now so they just bring their items to me.



 
February 23

Skin-crazy

Lately, its all been about skins. I can't seem to get enough of them. Now
you can get your mind out of the gutter- I'm talking about PDA skins.
Specifically Zlauncher and Wisbar Advance.

Since I got my Axim I've been using it primarily for web browsing. Because
of the wifi, its extremely fast. However, I wasn't overjoyed with the whole
Windows-look of the thing. I tried PocketPlus, but it just wasn't cutting
it. After looking at a few people's screenshots I stumbled upon Wisbar
Advance and thought it might be exactly what I needed. What I didn't know
about WA at the time is that it skins your entire device...kind of like a
PalmRevolt for PocketPCs. It didn't take me long find a Mac OSX skin and
voila! No more boring Windows OS.
Having a skin that I like to look at is pretty much a deal-breaker for me.
I refuse, in this day and age, to accept a mundane looking device. And to
prove my point I've allowed my Treo to go buck-wild with color and flair.
I've included some hot backgrounds in some of my Zlauncher tabs and have
been thrilled with the result. Now some of you may remember that I once
removed Zlauncher, accusing the colorful backgrounds of distracting me from
actually accomplishing anything on my Treo- well, in all honesty, I think
it was more to do with the actual apps I had loaded on my Treo and their
distracting effect. When you turn on your Treo and know exactly what
program you want to launch, you don't tend to spend a whole lot of time
gazing and the launcher screen.

I also have Zlauncher on my Zodiac and later I'll have to share those
images.



 



 

Nissan Terranaut

Sorry for the slow posts... I've been busy tooling around in my new Nissan
Terranaut
.

I'm working on a summary of my Zodiac2 for you all. In the meantime, head
on over to everythingtreo.com and check out my latest review of ZLauncher.

February 22

Humpday Humor




 
February 21

A Treo in the hand...

Happy Post-Presidents' Day!
I don't always know what the holiday celebrates, but I tell you I enjoy the day off anyway. This weekend was especially decadent and rich because we really did nothing but lay around watching movies and talking. I think its the most time we've ever had of just talking and I think it really improved our understanding of each other.
In Treo-related news, I updated my ROM again so that now my phone is at Software 1.20LAP and Firmware 1.71. I also used the opportunity to get the latest version of Agendus and ZLauncher and upgraded my Snappermail to Enterprise version (which allows IMAP mail). All-in-all it was a relatively simple project this time around. I tend to get more nervous after reading stories of how other people have turned their phone ínto useless bricks by not doing it right.
There has been so much speculation and rumor lately about a new Palm-Treo due out 'any day now'. I do wonder how much truth there is to it all. I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled (even though it probably won't be a Cingular product)
What I'd love to see in the next Treo is improved stability and much more memory. I would truly be happy with 64MB of memory-as unlikely as it seems. Having used my Dell Axim to get familiar with wi-fi I can now safely say that it is not a deal-breaker for me....more of a nice extra.
February 15

HumpDay Humor


February 12

Trip to the MoMA

Friday Evenings are free at the Museum of Modern Arts. If you happen to be in the city between 4 and 8pm on a Friday, definitely try to check out at least the 5th and 4th Floors.
This Friday we took my cousin from Boston to the MoMA. I found the paintings and abstract sculptures to be exceptional. Especially check out the picture of the John Chamberlain sculpture constructed from car parts.



 



 



 



 



 
February 09

The Lighter Side of Tech

Image hosting by Photobucket


Image hosting by Photobucket

Britney and Son

A lot of hubbub is being made over the fact that Britney Spears was caught
driving with her son Sean in her lap. I, for one, think we are overreacting
here.
Before Sean hits puberty I anticipate that this will actually be considered
one of the high points of his childhood. Be on the lookout for other
follies:

1. Kevin "accidentally" shares a joint with his toddler
2. Sean is "lost" only to later discover he was left at a neighbor's home.
3. 6-year-old Sean taken to the hottest nightclub by his parents where he
parties the night away circa Drew Barrymore's childhood.
4. 10-year-old Sean gets engaged to Stepmom Shar
5. 13-year-old Sean has Bar-Mitzvah and his and Shar's child's baby shower
in the same party.

February 06

All Hail the "Bowl"!

Probably no big suprise, but I am not a football enthusiast. However, I am
proud to report that the guys in the bright yellow pants won the game last
night which goes to show, a bit of flair never hurt anyone!
One thing I did ponder yesterday was the total squandering of the
commercial (advertising) time. Companies pay millions of dollars to
advertise during the Superbowl because it is probably the most watched
event on TV. Wouldn't that be a great time to show the faces of missing
children? Or America's most wanted criminals? After all, chances are pretty
high that those guys would be in a bar watching the game. It seems to me
more that criminals would be caught, rather than advertising beer to a
bunch of people most of whom already have one in their hands.
February 05

Trip to the PetStore

One cool thing I love to do some weekends is to drop in at the petstore and look at all the animals. This week I whipped out my Treo and took this shot of some of the cool fish they had:
 
Image hosting by Photobucket

If you look closely at the fish, they almost look shocked to have their picture taken. The one on the extreme right looks exactly like a celebrity caught by papparazzi!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
February 03

A Day in my Life with my Treo

A number of people have asked me what I typically use my Treo for in the course of the day. The truth is that most of the events in my day are either improved or because of my Treo.



Morning

-Before I even wake up my Treo is configured to refresh my RSS feeds with QuickNews at 5AM. My Treo connects to my high speed connection via bluetooth so downloading my image-heavy feeds (PalmAddict, The Superficial, etc) is a breeze.

Image hosting by Photobucket

-At 6am when I wake up, I bring up my Today screen in Agendus Pro to give me an idea of what my day looks like and what the weather is.

Image hosting by Photobucket

-While waiting for the train at the station I do a check of my email and respond to anything urgent. I also send messages to my assistant regarding any tasks we may need to accomplish first thing in the morning.

Image hosting by Photobucket

-On my ride in to work I browse my feeds, use Snappermail to write my blog entries, and play a game or ten.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Afternoon
- During my work day I use 2Action Meeting to document a number of meetings and convert some of the items discussed into tasks.

Image hosting by Photobucket

- I constantly use my PocketLingo medical dictionary for fact checking durng the day.

Image hosting by Photobucket



 -I check my stocks periodically using Stockbroker. (Ouch!)

Image hosting by Photobucket


-On occasion I might need to retrieve a file forgotten at home. I use Win-Hand to connect to my home PC and email myself the needed file. This is also great when I am in a meeting and need to refer to a document in my office!

Image hosting by Photobucket

Evening
-On my way to the train I listen to my favorite songs using PTunes. A bit of techno goes a long way to keeping me upbeat!
Image hosting by Photobucket

-On the train I unwind by watching a bit of Family Guy using TCPMP.

Image hosting by Photobucket

-I SMS the hubby to find out what our evening/dinner plans are.

Image hosting by Photobucket


-I check out PocketTV Browser to see if there’s anything worth watching on the TV tonight.

Image hosting by Photobucket


-Once I get to the car, I plug my Treo in and continue listening to my playlist.


Image hosting by Photobucket


These are just a few of the innovative ways I put my Treo to work during my busy day. What are yours?

Treo 800 Rumors

If the rumormill is to believed, then March may mark the launch of the new Treo. I have mixed feelíngs about the validity of such a claim... especially the name. Why would they jump to the 800 instead of making it a 700p or at least something in the 7xx family?
The combined BT and WiFi is definitely a nice touch, and you all obviously know my feelings about 128MB of memory based on my reaction to my new Zodiac2.
The only problem I envision is stability. I mean, remember how unstable the 650 was when it came out? Now picture a device that incorporates so many more touchy elements and I smell disaster!
February 01

Welcome to the Family!

Well yesterday my Tapwave Zodiac 2 arrived and I must admit it was love at
first sight! Even though I had seen the Z1, there was just something about
this one that took me aback.
Maybe its the sick 128 MB of RAM. I mean, that is just crazy! It makes me
sad that the Treo couldn't come that loaded. I can't even imagine how sweet
that would be!
I loaded it up with a few games and got it configured to use my WiFi via
Bluetooth to connect to the internet. And by chosing not to hotsync with my
desktop I was able to use my same username from my Treo and thus, move over
most of my games.
So far my goal seems to be working because at home I barely disturb my Treo
anymore!

Comments